This is his instructor pilot and the plane he went up in.
Written by Brenden Riggs
Went for my first flight friday. Pretty uneventful, at least pretty uneventful in my world. I flew mostly in Arizona, smooth air, big runways, no trees, and a VASI. A VASI is a set of light that let you know if you are descending on the proper angle.
We took off, flew around did a few maneuvers and then Mike (my instructor) and I headed back to the airport to practise some landings. I was told to descend to 1000 ft above the ground. HOLY COW, who let the bucking bronco out, we were bouncing all over the place, I think I lost a contact lens which is horrible because I don't wear any. Then as we get closer to the runway I asked Mike where the VASI lights were whereupon I was informed this particular runway doesn't have any, but aim for the four digit number numbers at the end. I must have been seeing double because runways only have two digit numbers. I stuffed my eyeballs back into my head, don't really recall if they bounced out or if I opened them too wide, that isn't important. So I aim for this black strip of pavement that is moving all over the place, the lower I get the rougher the flight. We get closer to the runway and had a great landing. Let me define landings: A good landing is anything you walk away from, a great landing is one where you can use the plane again. I had sixteen touchdowns in that one landing, but my instructor said I couldn't count them as individual landings. Darn, i would have had enough landings on that one flight to get my license. Then Mike has the audacity to say, "lets do it again!" Glad he is braver than I am. So off we go to attempt another landing. Still bumpy, we circle around and come back for another landing. This time I am ready, coming in at proper speed, and altitude, raise the nose just before my wheels contact the ground, suddenly I am 30 feet back into the air. Stall warning blaring. A stall is pretty much falling out of the sky, bad things happen if you stall very close to the ground. I jam the throttle to full, lower the nose to get airspeed. We recover just fine, Mike looks over at me and says, "that will cover your missed approach lesson for today". We circle around, get clearance for the main runway, yeehaw VASI, there I make a beautiful landing. Taxi back to the parking spot, open the doors so all the water (Mike said sweat, but I don't believe him, it is humid here in Florida) could pour out. I can't wait for Monday to do it all again.
WOW!! You are so BRAVE Uncle Brenden!!! I cannot wait until you get your license!!!! Keep up the good work!!
ReplyDelete~Jaycee Riggs :)